Straw mulch is a ‘new again’ practice for many gardeners. GardenStraw is an all-natural biodegradable garden mulch that reduces watering, weeding, and damage to your plants giving you healthier plants and saving you time and money.
Why Use GardenStraw?
Whether it’s a hobby, a passion, or a lifestyle, a generation of green thumbs find themselves in their gardens, looking to grow and nurture their plants. And there is a push among gardeners to find natural, sustainable solutions for our plants and ourselves.
That being said, gardening is not easy. It is a constant battle with the elements. From getting too much sun to not enough, from constant watering to endless weeding, plants need a certain delicate balance of care to thrive.
That’s where GardenStraw comes in: clean, consistent and convenient garden mulch made from 100% premium wheat straw that reduces watering, weeding, and damage to your plants.
GardenStraw is processed to the ideal length and form that encourages healthy plant life. Through our rigorous, innovative process, GardenStraw is virtually seed-free, dust-free, filtered for any impurities, such as dirt and metals.
Through our rigorous, innovative process, GardenStraw is virtually seed-free, dust-free, and filtered for any impurities.
GardenStraw is processed to the same consistent length and form so you know exactly what you’re getting every time.
One bag of GardenStraw covers a large area. The sealed packaging makes it easy to transport, use, spread and store.
The Natural Choice for Your Garden
Garden & Flower Beds/Containers
- Reduce watering by up to 50%
- Prevents most weed seed from germinating
- Keeps soil cool and moist
- Shields plants from mud spatter from rain
- Your shoes stay clean; soft to walk on bare feet
- Softness acts as natural cushion for knees and joints
- Mix into hard clay soils to improve soil fertility
New Lawn Seeding
- Reduces seed loss; seeds stay in place better
- Minimizes weed seed germination
- Keeps soil cool and moist
- No removal necessary
- An excellent carbon material for your compost bin
- Adding to indoor compost pail reduces odors
- Makes great compost to add into garden
*GardenStraw is available in an organic option
Frequently Asked Questions
Scroll down to read FAQs
1. What is GardenStraw used for?
- It’s used as garden mulch, lawn seeding and for composting.
- Bonus uses – pet bedding, game bird hunting and Halloween.
2. What are the benefits of using GardenStraw?
- Less weeds – Prevents weed seeds from germinating.
- Less watering – GardenStraw mulch helps hold in moisture and keep the soil cool, so you’re watering up to 50% less.
- Less damage to your plants – the mulch helps protect the plants in the rain, shielding them from mud splatter.
- Less aches to you, the gardener – GardenStraw is soft and acts as a natural padding for your knees and joints.
- Improves soil quality
- Improves germination of lawn seed
3. How do I use GardenStraw?
- In your garden/flower beds/containers – Weed your garden first, then place a 2 to 3 inch layer around any flowers and plants, about 1 inch away from the crowns and stems. Then water thoroughly.
- Lawn seeding – Spread a ½ to 1 inch layer over newly seeded lawns and water thoroughly. Once grass is fully established, mow normally. There is no need to remove the GardenStraw as it decomposes and adds value to the soil.
- Composting – Add GardenStraw as a carbon material to your compost. Simple rule of thumb is to use one-third nitrogen and two-thirds carbon. Lay down GardenStraw first to aid in drainage and help aerate your bin or pile. Continue to add GardenStraw as waste is added. Add a 2-3 inch layer to the bottom of your indoor compost pail to reduce doors.
4. When can I place GardenStraw in my garden?
- Place around newly planted plants or wait until your seeds are sprouted. Place GardenStraw approximately 1 inch away from crowns and stems.
5. With GardenStraw layered in my garden, how do I know when to water my garden and plants?
- Simply push back a little of the straw mulch so you can test the moisture of the soil. Then water as needed.
6. Is GardenStraw treated with anything?
- We use an all-natural process to clean the straw, meaning no chemicals are used or added to the straw as we remove dust, seeds, and other impurities.
7. Is it pesticide/chemical free?
- As per our regular testing on the GardenStraw, minute traces may still be found from application during the growing season.
8. Do you have organic straw?
- Yes, certified organic GardenStraw is available in limited quantities at an additional cost. A limited number of stores carry our organic GardenStraw.
9. Are there any seeds in the bag?
- Our process removes virtually all wheat and weed seeds; however, there may still be a few seeds that get through our process. They pull out very easily. The benefits of reduced weed growth far outweighs a few seeds that may be found in a GardenStraw bag.
10. Will GardenStraw blow away?
- Unlikely, but possible with high winds. To ensure that it stays in the garden, containers, or lawn, after layering it down simply give your garden a thorough watering. There is a natural stickiness in straw that helps to hold GardenStraw in place.
11. Does it leech nitrogen out of the soil as it decomposes?
- There are minor fluctuations in nitrogen levels as the straw decomposes. Overall, GardenStraw benefits the health of soil.
12. Can it be used around all plants?
- Yes, it can be used around all plants.
13. Does GardenStraw attract rodents?
- Unlikely. We remove the food source (seeds) from our GardenStraw.
14. How do I store an opened bag?
- To maintain a dry, fresh product store GardenStraw in a dry, covered location or bin with a lid.
15. If there is some water damage (darker spots) in a corner or side of a bag, is it still ok to use?
- Small amounts of water damage is ok as it’s used as a mulch in a garden or container. Use the water damaged parts in your garden first.
Have questions? Send us a note using the form.
Head Office Hours
M-F: 8am – 5pm